Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Happy New Year!

Yes, I know it's closer to the end of January than the beginning, but this is my first post for 2011 so it's the first chance I've had to wish you all a happy new year. I hope that you had a relaxing and restful break, and that you haven't broken any of your new year's resolutions yet.

This will be a bit of a mixed post, and I'll be talking about both library- and geocaching-related stuff. Firstly, the main library-related news, of course, is that we are now in 2011, which means that the new library will open this year. This will be a challenging, busy and perhaps nostalgic time for all library staff at Macquarie. I was lucky enough to visit the new library in December as part of the ASRS training, and it was interesting to see how the plans look in "real life". The ASRS vault is a very impressive space and I was able to see the cranes in operation.

The other major news recently has been the flooding in Queensland/northern New South Wales, and now Victoria. We've all seen the news footage and photos of what has happened, and ALIA has set up pages on its website detailing the libraries that have been affected in Queensland and Victoria.

Now, on to the other subject of this blog - geocaching. I found out last week that there is another member of library staff who geocaches, so it's good to know that the hobby is gaining a following. I don't have any geocaching resolutions for the year, although it would be nice to reach 250 finds by the end of the year (currently our total stands at 216). I'm also slowly working my way through solving some of the puzzle caches around Sydney. It would be nice to complete some more of this type of cache.

That's all for now. I'll try and keep the blog a bit more up-to-date this year than I did last year, but I can't promise anything. I think I'll be pretty busy once our baby arrives next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment